tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Adrian Hall" <ah...@mirapoint.com>
Subject Realms - info/documentation?
Date Sat, 03 Nov 2001 00:28:12 GMT
Hi,

I am wanting to write a new security realm for a web application that I am currently developing.
 I had hoped to use one of the standard realms to do this, but no dice.  Now, I would like
information on the following:

How standard are realms?  Will my new realm class be importable into BEA or some other Application
Server, for example?  (I have only used Tomcat, but want to allow other environments - Im
an open sort of guy)

I wish to put something like the following in the config file:

    <Realm className="org.mps.realm.MiraRealm" Server="10.10.240.7" Base="domain" UserID="uid"
/>

I noticed that JDBC and JNDI realms (nice examples, btw) all have attributes - do I just have
to include a setXXX (where XXX is my attribute in the XML statement) to get these attributes
into my object?

Can I place my realm statement in my web applications web.xml document?  If so, can I place
it inside the <web-app> directive, or do I need to place it outside (and before) the
<web-app> directive?

Other than start(), stop() and authenticate(String, String), are there any other methods which
I will generally need to implement?  I noticed getInfo() and getName() - are they required
- if they are, is the format of the output fixed, or dynamic?

Thanks for the help in advance

Regards,

Adrian Hall