tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "J. Eric Smith" <esm...@digitalforge.com>
Subject RE: mod_webapp/Tomcat4 ready for production level stuff?
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2001 15:17:24 GMT
Well, Tomcat obviously has potential but I'm interested in the here and
now.  All of the benchmarks that I've seen thus far have shown TC4 to be
vastly inferior (by a factor of 10) compared to the commercial servlet
engines.  Of course, these benches were published BY those vendors, so I
take them with a grain of salt, but I haven't seen any benches from the
TC group, so I have nothing to compare.  Speed issues along with the
horrific documentation and poor functionality of mod_webapp (or poor
documentation/difficulty of configuring mod_jk) make me very
apprehensive of starting project with TC4/mod_webapp at the core.

I was hoping someone in this forum could convince me otherwise, but I
haven't seen anything encouraging thus far, mostly folks saying "wait a
bit and it'll be great."  I've got a project NOW and I can't afford to
wait.

J. Eric Smith
esmith@digitalforge.com <mailto:esmith@digitalforge.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: Kemp Randy-W18971 [mailto:Randy.L.Kemp@motorola.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 9:19 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: mod_webapp/Tomcat4 ready for production level stuff?

Now the question should be: does Tomcat 4 have the potential to be ready
for primetime?  The answer to that is yes, and it may take a few
maintenance releases of mod_webapp and Tomcat 4x to get there.  Right
now, the architecture is much better (in my opinion) then Tomcat 3.x and
you can find some good articles on the web on creating applications.
And Resin is a great product.  I used it in development.  And Jboss is a
good EJB server.  Some people are using it now with Tomcat, and others
take a "wait and see" as the releases continue to improve.  The real
test is to try Tomcat, Resin, and Weblogic in your environment, and see
how each handles the job.  Now Postgresql is a great database, but mysql
is much better with release 4x.  Again, you can run both and see how
they hold up.