tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "David Wall" <dw...@Yozons.com>
Subject Re: cryptography - slow starting????
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:08:24 GMT
It's the SecureRandom initialization.  You could just force such an
initialization at startup so that startup has a bit of a slowdown, but then
it runs fast the rest of the time.

David

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerry Duhig" <gerryd@nectar.demon.co.uk>
To: <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 10:02 AM
Subject: cryptography - slow starting????

Hi!

I have successfully built a servlet that uses JCE to encrypt data and
deployed it under JBoss Tomcat 2.4.1-3.2.2.

The very first access is VERY slow as the cryptography classes do some sort
of initialisation. I don't know what.

Subsequent actions seem very quick.

Is this to be expected? Can I speed it up? Can I get this initialisation to
take place at start-up before a user accesses the servlet?

Gerry