tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Daniel Seyffer" <>
Subject SUCCES: Tomcat 4.0.1 + Apache 1.3.xx using mod_webapp
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2001 20:43:46 GMT
Hi Tomcat Users!

For the past few days I've been trying to install Tomcat 4.0.1 and Apache
1.3.xx under Linux (RH 7.1) using mod_webapp without success. Actually I
have spent HOURS troubleshooting, browsing google, archives of this list,
whatever I tried it simply didn't work...
Now I just did a clear reinstall and suddenly it worked!

So just for all of you guys out there, asking yourself if _anybody_ has ever
got this working (as I did until 10min ago... *g*).
My 2c - maybe it's useful for someone. If not, simply ignore the
following... ;)

- I've installed the rpms:

- I'm not sure if the mod_webapp.o module was left from one of my manual
installations before or it was installed by the webapps rpm package, at
least it was exactly the same file as the one I manually placed there
before. (the one you'll find under the jakarta binary downloads on the

- Configured tomcat.conf to point to my JDK, and changed "/var/tomcat" in
/etc/passwd to "/var/tomcat4"
Apache and the webapp module are loading fine (except complaining about
running under EAPI) as does tomcat.
Accessing /examples works (with icons) and jsp and servlet examples also.

The server has only got a (public) ip an no dns entry. So my Apache
ServerName is the ip.

my Apache DocumentRoot is set to

and tomcat (rpm) is installed in

my JDK (1.4):

I didn't change anything! :) ok, before I changed everything like crazy :)

LoadModule webapp_module modules/

AddModule mod_webapp.c

// [...] after ServerName, DocumentRoot (!)
// notice the "warpConnection" instead of "conn" as stated in the readme. ;)

WebAppConnection    warpConnection    warp    localhost:8008
WebAppDeploy    examples    warpConnection    /examples/
WebAppInfo /webapp-info

and that's it! Actually I've no clue, why it did'nt work at once.
Excuse me if some things are not perfectly expressed/spelled, because
English is not my native tongue...

Good luck!

Daniel Seyffer

To unsubscribe:   <>