tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Nikola Milutinovic" <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject Re: tomcat4.0.1 + apache (mod_webapp)?
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:38:07 GMT
Hi, hope you can give me some advice, too.

> 1) Simply follow the instructions of the webapp install.txt, which says:
>
> Copy "mod_webapp.so" and "libapr.dll" file into \modules
>
> 2) Once you have done that, edit your "httpd.conf" configuration file and
> add
>
>     LoadModule webapp_module libexec/mod_webapp.so
>     AddModule mod_webapp.c
>
> preferably under the other LoadModule lines (which are commented out).

So far, so good...

> 3)Then I faced a problem, that Apache could not recognize the host, so I had
> to wrap the WebApp Connection and Deployment into a virtual host. I enabled
> the ServerName directive (somewhere in the middle) and added at the very end
> of the httpd.conf:
>
> <VirtualHost localhost>
>     ServerName falkomobil.local
>     ErrorLog logs/servl-error_log
>     CustomLog logs/servl-access_log common
>
> ########Deployment und Mapping von WebApps
> WebAppConnection conn      warp  localhost:8008
> WebAppDeploy     examples  conn  /examples
> ##########################################
> </VirtualHost>

Looks reasonable. I'm setting ServerName without VirtualHost, I know it must be set on the
server/mod-webapp side.

> 4) My server.xml entry for Tomcat looks like (the last entry in that file)
>
>   <!-- Define an Apache-Connector Service -->
>   <Service name="Tomcat-Apache">
>
>     <Connector className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector"
>      port="8008" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
>      enableLookups="true"
>      acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>
>
>     <Engine className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
>      name="Apache" defaulthost="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps">
>
>       <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
>               prefix="apache_log." suffix=".txt"
>               timestamp="true"/>
>
>       <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm" />
>     </Engine>
>   </Service>

This is basically the default server.xml from Tomcat's distro.

> 5) Then starting the Tomcat and after that(!) the Apache, I could call
> localhost\examples\jsp and run the examples.

Well, I'm having problems on the Tomcat side. I have defined a virtual host on Tomcat, just
one, but there will be more in the future. When Apache tries to connect to Tomcat, I get this
in the log:

[org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConfigurationHandler]
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: addChild:  Child name 'legba.ev.co.yu' is not unique

Now "Mercury.ev.co.yu" is hosting Tomcat, while "Legba.ev.co.yu" is hosting Apache. The exception
is fired not from Warp module, but rather from Container class and it's method addChild.

Any help?

Nix.