tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Etienne Baert \(SPSInfoquest nv\)" <eba...@sps.be>
Subject RE: Applets in Servlets
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 13:49:22 GMT
Long, Shen,

why are you using the <applet> tag ?
When used with IE, it asks the browser to launch the JVM from Micro$oft,
not the one from SUN or IBM. With Netscape, the tag to be used is <EMBED>.

In my case, I am successfully starting up applets from html pages generated
by servlets. Html that is generated looks like :
<OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93"

CODEBASE="http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/1.3.0_01/jinstall-130_01-win32
.cab#Version=1,3,0,1"
 HEIGHT="600"
 WIDTH="800"
 NAME="AppletName">
<PARAM NAME="CODEBASE" VALUE=".">
<PARAM NAME="CODE" VALUE="com/example/visual/AppletName.class">
<PARAM NAME="ARCHIVE" VALUE="archive.jar\">
</OBJECT>

The servlet that generates the html is accessed using such an URL:
http://myserver:port/dir/servletname
that maps the following physical location (on Win)
d:\projects\dir\www\

It tells the browser to look into that directory whether he finds the
archive
containing the applet class (archive.jar).
If your archive or your class is located elsewhere, you have to tell it
using the codebase parameter.
codebase="applet" means the browser will try to retrieve the applet from
http://myserver:port/dir/applet/ (d:\projects\dir\www\applet\)
codebase="/applet" means it will try from http://myserver:port/applet/

Hope this helps,
Etienne Baert