tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Nikola Milutinovic" <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject Re: STARTUP.SH DOESN'T WORKS FINE
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2001 07:43:29 GMT
> > Every well written daemon and server process SHOULD do that
> > (among other things).
>
> But you need to remember that you are not running Tomcat, you are running
> Java - that's a big difference.  And it limits what is possible.

Good point.

"Every well written daemon" will do the following:

1. parse input and complain if necessary
2. spawn a child and exit
3. a child will close STDIN, STDOUT, STDERR
4. a child will catch/ignore SIGHUP, SIGTERM, ...
5. a child will spawn a daemon process and exit.

Is this possible in Java? I don't thnink Java application can spawn another process, it can
spawn a thread. Can it close it's connections to the controlling terminal? Tomcat seams to
do it. Can it ignore/catch signals?

Nix.