tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Nikola Milutinovic" <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject Re: STARTUP.SH DOESN'T WORKS FINE
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2001 06:44:13 GMT
> Hi again!
> And thank you very much to all of you who had been sending some advice!!
>
> I tried to start Tomcat with the following sentence:
>
> "tomcat.sh start &"

There is no need for "&" with "start", it already has "&" in the script.

> And it didn't work again...
> I'm going to try with "nohup"...
>
> When I work with the server (Solaris) I open a terminal window and I close it
> with the exit command. But when I work by a remote connection (from my PC,
> Windows 98) I open a telnet window and it has the same behavior... I can't close
> the window (terminal o telnet) because Tomcat shuts down...  I don't know why it
> only happends with Tomcat, because when I start Apache or Jserv as the same way,
> they are still alive when I close the telnet window...

OK, I user SecureCRT. I ssh to my server and issue "startup.sh", which in turn runs:

./catalina.sh start -config ${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/server.xml

which translates to

(setup CLASSPATH)
$JAVA_HOME/bin/java $CATALINA_OPTS -classpath $CP \
     -Dcatalina.base=$CATALINA_BASE \
     -Dcatalina.home=$CATALINA_HOME \
     org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -config ${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/server.xml start

So, try a normal telnet client like CRT (I'm not advertizing, just have a lot of good expirience
with the CRT/SCRT products) and run just:

./bin/tomcat.sh start -config config/server.xml

and logout normally, just like you would do after Apache or Sendmail. You can setup your environment
later...

Nix.

Nix.