tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andrei Ivanov <>
Subject JDBC Data Sources
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2001 18:29:21 GMT

I'm trying to use JDBC Data Sources in an aplication, so I read the tomcat
howto regarding jndi resources.
I installed the jdbc driver(for mysql), I declared the resource
requirements in the web application deployment descriptor:

<!DOCTYPE web-app

    <display-name>Shadow's Application</display-name>
  This is a simple web application.

and then I modified server.xml to:
 <Resource name="jdbc/shadowDB" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
    <ResourceParams name="jdbc/shadowDB">

Then I restarted tomcat, but an error occured when tomcat wanted to
initialize my application:
2001-10-10 21:13:17 ContextConfig[/Shadow] Parse error in application web.xml
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Element type "resource-ref-name" must be declared.

I looked through web-app_2_3.dtd and I think the web application
deployment descriptor looks fine, but I'm new to xml too.

Is there something wrong in what I did ?
Please help me..

If you need other details, just ask.
Btw: I'm using Apache Tomcat/4.0.1-b1, but Tomcat 4.0 did the same thing.

View raw message