tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Endre StĂžlsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject [Slightly OT] Tomcat(/Java) on Solaris vs. Linux (and maybe vs. MS)
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2001 11:06:00 GMT
Does anyone have any performance measurements on which of these OS'es
that's worth running Java, and especially Tomcats on?

*) Linux is "good", right?

*) Solaris is generally slower, it seems, but I thought that maybe running
ONE process there (JVM) could be pretty fast. This also because Solaris
actually _have_ a thread model, and don't just fake it as Linux does..

*) 2000/NT I have no idea about.

On the same PC (a "good" one, _more than one processor_, plenty of RAM and
fast drives), which of those OS'es are the best for running Tomcat?

 And how does the arguments for those three OS'es change if you also
install MySQL on the same machine? Or another machine?

(SUN folks: have I understood it correcly when I believe that using
Solaris 8 is totally free, even for commercial uses, as long as the
machine doesn't have more than 8 processors? Why?! ;)

Any help here is very much appreciated.

--
Mvh,
Endre