tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Developer" <develo...@perceptivei.com>
Subject PLEASE HELP: HTTP Forwarding or proxy??
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2001 22:26:33 GMT
My system is as below:

Internet - Machine1 - Firewall - Machine2

-Machine2 needs to be behind the firewall because it accepts socket
communictions.
-Machine2 ALSO runs a webserver that needs to be accessed from the Internet.

THE PROBLEM
-------------
A machine on the Internet CANNOT "see" Machine2. BUT it can see Machine1.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION?
---------------------
If I use RequestDispatch.forward() that forwards requests to Machine2; will
the "response" come directly from Machine2 OR will it come from Machine2, be
passed through Machine1 and then reach the browser from the Internet?

POSSIBLE IMPLEMENTATION 1- If the above solution is to write a servlet that
listens and simply forwards requests, it will involve setting up a servlet
enabled webserver on Machine1. Will this work? How do I write a servlet that
maps to the URL: http://IP_ADDRESS/

and takes EVERY request coming to that IP??  and then converts that IP as
below.

How can I have a servlet that just converts the request -

http://GLOBAL_IP_MACHINE1/index.html
http://GLOBAL_IP_MACHINE1/servlet/test to

http://INTERNAL_IP_MACHINE2/index.html
http://INTERNAL_IP_MACHINE2/servlet/test

Does anyone have any advice in this regard?

Please advise!
Cheers.

Carlos