tomcat-users mailing list archives

From joseph.val...@bnpparibas.com
Subject Réf. : I need to fix Tomcat 4.0 Locks and Crashes
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:27:49 GMT

<baseballwizard@hotmail.com> wrote:

> 2. The process continues to run, but, tomcat stops returning data.

you do not mention which jvm runs...

in case it could help to understand what happens, please read this <
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4491940.html> (needs
a free registration)

last posting (unfortunately as of 2001-10-24) in bug parade tells: "After
further investigation it seems we are dealing with
a libthread bug (4484522)  whereby the VM thread blocks in
thr_suspend.".

I'm afraid it's not what you'd name a solution :-(

Unfortunately it's not a Solaris-only problem. Seems tomcat is a kind of
catalyser: we encounter a comparable problem under aix 4.3.3 (jvm 1.2.2 and
1.3.0, tomcat 3.2.1 to 4.0), and last tests here indicates, as far as I
understand, in assertion failure in some gc part :-( we are now waiting for
ibm move.
Our deployment is blocked by this bug, which seems (again as far as we
understand) to appear as faster as number of processor grow and cpu load is
low (that would explain why our heavy-loaded 2-proc dev machine crash in 25
days when a low-loaded 8-proc production machine crashed after 2 minutes,
and why we met it during deployment phase :-(( ).

--
Joseph