tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Wouter Boers" <wouter.bo...@siennax.com>
Subject RE: Is it always necessary to place the servlet class files under the WEB-INF/classes folder?
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:23:34 GMT
Yes it is. Tomcat. and any other lstest (application) servlet/jsp container,
including JRun, follows the servlet 2.2 specs which defines the way an
application is layed out and thus can be packed together in a WAR file.

Wouter

-----Original Message-----
From: RSEQUEIRA@TRANSENTRIC.COM [mailto:RSEQUEIRA@TRANSENTRIC.COM]
Sent: 31 October 2001 15:47
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Is it always necessary to place the servlet class files under
the WEB-INF/classes folder?

Is it always necessary to create a WEB-INF folder? Is this a standard or is
it just plain mandatory to create a WEB-INF folder. And then place the
class files in the "WEB-INF/classes" folder (read - application won't work
without these folders)?
Any information will be greatly appreciated.

We are migrating from Website/JRun to Apache/Tomcat. And our current
directory structure doesn't conform to the WEB-INF standard.
Also, we use the <SERVLET> tag heavily. And Tomcat doesn't support this
tag. I read somewhere (maybe in this forum itself) that we should replace
it with <jsp:include...> tag instead. Anyone who has successfully
implemented this....I would be glad to hear from him/her.

Thanks in advance

For additional commands, e-mail: