tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Wayne Hefner" <>
Subject RemoteUser is null
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:04:39 GMT
I am trying to set up authentication for my web app using tomcat.  I am
using just basic authentication and the application seems to authenticate me
and allows the user in.  However, when I issue a request.getRemoteUser() the
value returned is null.

The following is what I have placed in the web.xml file for the web app:

         <web-resource-name>DIS Protected Area</web-resource-name>
	 <!-- Define the context-relative URL(s) to be protected -->
	 <!-- If you list http methods, only those methods are protected -->
         <!-- Anyone with one of the listed roles may access this area -->

    <!-- Default login configuration uses BASIC authentication -->
      <realm-name>DIS Basic Authentication Area</realm-name>

If anyone could let me know how I can force Tomcat to set RemoteUser I would
appreciate it.

View raw message