tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject Tomcat 4: Virtual Hosting and Multiple JVMs
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2001 21:55:20 GMT
We are currently using Apache + JServ to host a number of JSP enabled web
sites.  For each host there is a separate JServ instance, running in "manual
mode."  Each host has its own configuration files, naturally.  Also, if
something goes wrong with one site, we can independently reset just that
JServ engine.  Another little advantage is that our scripts launch each JVM
with site owner's UID, rather than root; linux's own security is able to
enforce access rights.

For each virtual host, the apache config looks something like:

	<VirtualHost IP-ADDRESS>
	ServerName <sitename>
	DocumentRoot /virtual/<sitename>/htdocs
	ErrorLog     /virtual/<sitename>/logs/error_log
	CustomLog    /virtual/<sitename>/logs/access_log common
	ScriptAlias  /cgi-bin/ /virtual/<sitename>/cgi-bin/
	<Directory /virtual/<sitename>/htdocs>
		Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
		AllowOverride All
		order allow,deny
		allow from all
	</Directory>
	DirectoryIndex index.jsp
	<IfModule mod_jserv.c>
	ApJServMount /servlets ajpv12://localhost:<AJP-port-for-site>/<sitename>
	ApJServAction .jsp    /servlets/gnujsp
	</IfModule>
	</VirtualHost>

So ... what is the best way to set things up with Tomcat 4.0 (we'll skip
Tomcat 3, since we are just starting to migrate sites from JServ)?  If I can
get things working well, I'll do a write up with examples for others who
come along.

TIA,

	--- Noel