tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Deacon Marcus" <deacon_mar...@wwtech.pl>
Subject RE: Any reason to use Apache w/ Tomcat for webapp with all dynamic web pages?
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2001 02:07:25 GMT
Hi,
It's the question of personal preference really. I'm a strong fan of Tomcat
stand-alone. I don't really believe savings in time serving static content
is worth loss of time serving dynamic content and added value like filters
and one PoF less - it's Tomcat-serving-all vs.
dynamic-content-tunneled-via-Apache, and I really don't like the second
idea. It adds another potential point of failure, and - no offence for
Apache guys - C++ is _much_ more error-prone than Java, so I have much more
trust in Tomcat beta than Apache final. Commonly ommited point is that
Tomcat stand-alone gives you excellent Java-based control over all content
via filters - Servlet 2.3 -based filtering of static content is impossible
in Apache-Tomcat configuration unless you're passing static requests to
Tomcat, which defeats the assumption of Tomcat-dynamic/Apache-static content
serving. Personally I'm using filters for custom security (note to guys
advocating pro-standard security - we're using custom hardware, so nothing
"standard" wouldn't work with our hardware security anyway).

Greetings, deacon Marcus