tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ian Johnson" <>
Subject RE: Tomcat 4.0, SSL, and IBM's JSSE
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2001 23:29:25 GMT
Here is the answer I got - works now

StartMenu shortcuts fail to launch Tomcat when SSL enabled - command line
launch works

------- Additional Comments From  2001-10-26 12:56 -------
You need to put the JSSE JARs in common/lib for that to work (the shortcuts
will ignore the env variables). Or alternately, you can edit the shortcuts,
add JSSE as a JRE extension.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Plankers []
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 6:10 PM
Subject: Tomcat 4.0, SSL, and IBM's JSSE

Hello all,

I'm somewhat new to Tomcat and am attempting to set up the SSL connector
with Tomcat 4.0.0 (a binary distribution I grabbed) on an IBM RS/6000
running AIX 4.3.3 and the IBM JDK 1.3.0 as available from their web page.
I uncomment the SSL connector in server.xml and when I attempt to start
Tomcat I get:

Exception during startup processing
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
        at Source)
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.initialize(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(Unknown
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(Unknown
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Unknown Source)

The thing that gets me is that if I look in the JSSE's ibmjsse.jar file
(at $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext) those classes are there, just at
com/ibm/net/ssl/SSLContext instead.

Has anyone done this using IBM's JDK/JRE and can give me a hint or two? Do
I need to rebuild Tomcat from source, or is there an easy fix for this?

Thanks in advance. You have no idea how much I appreciate it.

Bob Plankers
University of Wisconsin - Madison                      +1.608.262.7783
Division of Information Technology

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>