tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Willie Vu" <willi...@yahoo.com>
Subject Question on FORM based authentication in Tomcat 4.0
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2001 03:27:59 GMT
I would like to achieve the following:

- allow user to login directly without first accessing a protected area.
After successful login, I want to forward the user to a default mypage.jsp.

To do the above, I have to detect if login page is accessed directly.  If
so, I need to force in the default mypage.jsp.  In Tomcat 3.2.1, there is
the session attribute "tomcat.auth.originalLocation" where I can force in
the default page.  However, in Tomcat 4.0, a new Note API is employed.  It
hides internal attributes from external use.  So, the only hook -
"tomcat.auth.originalLocation", is not available in Tomcat 4.0.

I know that Servlet 2.3 spec doesn't spell out how to handle direct access
to the login page.  I scan through the mail archive and notice a lot of
people want to do this.  Can someone give us a sound solution?

Regards,

Willie