tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Chris Gross" <cgr...@chessys.com>
Subject RE: Anyone using javaservice with tomcat?
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2001 21:04:35 GMT

Hi Robin, Thanks for the response.

Actually I'm using 3.2.3 on win2k.  I've done steps similar to what you
said.  I grabbed all my classpath entries and put them in the
"-Djava.class.path=" option in the installtomcat32.bat.  Then ran
"installtomcat32 c:\jdk1.3 c:\jakart~1.3".  It says it install the service
successfully and I don't see any errors.  The service starts fine.  It does
beep after about 3 seconds which is weird.  The stderr.log and all the other
log files are empty or show normal status.  But when I try to connect to
http://localhost:8080 my web browser just hangs.  No response after 10
minutes...

I am using direct SSL with tomcat and jdk 1.3 (not 1.3.1)...

-chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Robin Lee [mailto:tech_support@uls.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 4:18 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Anyone using javaservice with tomcat?

I have... It was only yesterday that i got it to work. I assume you are
using jdk1.31_01 and tomcat 4.

What I had to do was set the following up in the system variables.

JAVA_HOME (d:\jdk1.3.1_01)
CATALINA_HOME (d:\tomcat)
CATALINA_BIN (not sure if it was needed, so i included it anyway). (same as
catalina_home)
CLASSPATH (this classpath is what is defaulted when you run the startup
script for tomcat)
    "d:\tomcat\bin\bootstrap.jar;d:\jdk1.3.1_01\lib\tools.jar"

Then i created a batch file that loads the "installtomcat4.bat" file.
installtomcat4 %JAVA_HOME% %CATALINA_HOME% classic

Thus, as you can see, javahome and catalinahome are used from the system
variables.  classic, well... That one worked for me and i've decided to keep
it.  I still don't know the diff between the classic, server and hotspot (if
anyone knows, can ya let me know if possible? :)

Once i run the new batch file, it'll save it into the services for me (my
case is win2k, but i have 2 servers with winnt), then I ran the service.

I then logged off the server, and went to another workstation to see if it
would work.  It certainly did.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any problems.

...Robin