tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Carey Parker <>
Subject RE: init parameters and ServletConfig
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:56:30 GMT
Never got an answer on this - can someone clear this up for me?

-----Original Message-----
From: Carey Parker []
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2001 9:51 AM
To: ''
Subject: init parameters and ServletConfig

I'm creating a simple servlet engine, and I'm confused about which init
parameters are made available via the ServletConfig object.

In the DTD for web.xml, there are two sets of parameters: context-param and
init-param.  The context-param's are in the web-app scope and the
init-params are in the servlet element scope.

So, when the servlet engine invokes the init() method on the servlet with a
ServletConfig object, and the servlet invokes
ServletConfig.getParameterNames(), which parameters does it see?

Let's say we have the following web.xml snippet...

So, there are three parameters here: foo, foo1, and foo2.  When servlet boo1
does a ServletConfig.getParameterNames(), does it get...

- just foo1?
- foo and foo1?
- foo, foo1 and foo2?

To unsubscribe, e-mail: