tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Heggie <david.heg...@intrapower.com.au>
Subject Client Certificates with Tomcat 4 standalone
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2001 23:20:43 GMT
Hi,

I have been trying to set up client-cert authentication and have had no
success at present. The first attempt was to set up ssl and set clientAuth
to true.

               enableLookups="true"
	       acceptCount="10" debug="1" scheme="https" secure="true">
      <Factory className="org.apache.catalina.net.SSLServerSocketFactory"
               clientAuth="true" protocol="TLS"/>
</Connector>

The normal ssl works fine with clientAuth=false but when it is true the
browser comes up with an error "the page cannot be displayed".

My second attampt was to setup the default web-app security/protected
example to use CLIENT-AUTH auth.

<login-config>
      <auth-method>CLIENT-CERT</auth-method>
      <realm-name>Example Form-Based Authentication Area</realm-name>
</login-config>

When I browse to that directory the browser comes up with the same error but
this time the following is in the localhost_examples log.

CertificatesValve[/examples]:  verify: SSLPeerUnverifiedException

Does anyone know what this means, or how I can get this client certificate
thing working.

Thanks

David