tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Evan Swanson <Evan.Swan...@gmd.fujitsu.com>
Subject RE: File Download - CSV question ****
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:31:13 GMT

That was it!

Thank you very much for your help.
The WEB.XML file seems to be much different on version 4.0

very good help thanks again...

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 10:52 PM
To: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Cc: 'Dmitri Colebatch'
Subject: RE: File Download - CSV question ****

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Evan Swanson wrote:

> Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:22:06 -0700
> From: Evan Swanson <Evan.Swanson@gmd.fujitsu.com>
> To: "'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Cc: 'Dmitri Colebatch' <dim@bigpond.net.au>
> Subject: RE: File Download - CSV question    ****
>

> I order to reduce the variable, I tried installing TC4.0 on the same
> windows based machine. I am using the same client for both( IE5.0 ).
>
> Results:
> TC3.2 will present a popup box for downloading files with .CSV extention.
> TC4.0 throws data directly up on the screen.

In a servlet 2.3 environment, the default content type is not allowed to
be set on the download.  You must declare it yourself (see below).

> Is there any reason for this? Can I change the configuration?

Yes.  Yes.

> Is this a MIME type problem?

Yes.  You can declare the appropriate content types for your files by
using the <mime-type> declaration like this in your web.xml file:

  <mime-mapping>
    <extension>csv</extension>
    <mime-type>application/octet-stream</mime-type>
  </mime-mapping>

The other important issue is what your *browser* thinks a particular file
type should be.  Netscape Navigator is usually pretty good about
respecting the "Content-Type" header sent by the server, while IE tends to
make its own assumptions about the file type, no matter what yo do on the
server side.

Craig McClanahan