tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Epling, Bob" <Bob.Epl...@twtelecom.com>
Subject RE: tomcat4 and JDBCRealm problem
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2001 17:07:36 GMT
Craig,

Thanks for the help...
I guess I need to get my glasses checked...
When I read step 3 I read it as $CATALINA_HOME/lib without the server...
I will read more carefully next time...

Thanks again,
Bob Epling

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 10:25 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: tomcat4 and JDBCRealm problem

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Epling, Bob wrote:

> Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 08:35:18 -0600
> From: "Epling, Bob" <Bob.Epling@twtelecom.com>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: RE: tomcat4 and JDBCRealm problem
>
> Craig,
>
> Thanks for the advice.  For grins I wrote a quickie program in java
that
> connected to the database and
> listed the users.  It worked fine using the same parameters that were
in
> the server.xml for Tomcat.
> So, I started to scratch my head some more and took a harder look at
> catalina.bat.
> Even though I had my NT classpath pointing to the mysql.jar, I decided
> to add the mysql.jar path
> to the following line in catalina.bat:
>
> ---> set

CP=%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\bootstrap.jar;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar;c:\javali
> b\mysql.jar
>
> Voila!...it worked.
> Can you tell me why it didn't pick up the jar file from my NT
classpath
> or from the lib directory in the TOMCAT_HOME?

That's really simple - the standard startup scripts for Tomcat 4.0
totally
ignore whatever CLASSPATH variable you might have installed before
starting Tomcat.  Classpaths get more users in more trouble than
anything
I have ever seen, so Tomcat uses a different technique:

* If you need a JAR file available to a particular webapp, put it in the
  /WEB-INF/lib directory of that webapp.

* If you need a JAR file available to all web apps (but not to the
  internal classes of Tomcat), put it in $CATALINA_HOME/lib.

* If you need a JAR file available to Tomcat internal classes (as is
  the case with the driver required by JDBCRealm), but it in
  $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib.

* If you need a JAR file available to *both* applications and Tomcat
  internal classes, put it in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib.

> Maybe the instructions for setting up a JDBCRealm need to be modified
> add this little tidbit of info.

It's already there.  The online version of the docs included with Tomcat
is at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/realm-howto.html#JDBCRea
lm

see step 3 under the "Quick Start" instructions.

More info on the class loading architecture is also available:

 http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html

> Thanks for the help,
> Bob Epling

Craig