tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ralph Einfeldt" <ralph.einfe...@uptime-isc.de>
Subject AW: Performance : Tomcat vs IIS
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:39:07 GMT
Although the term 'app server' is not well defined
i don't know a single definition that allows to say
that tomcat is an app server and iis is not.

According to most definitions both are no app servers,
but you can make one with them, by integrating futher
software (which software you need, depends on the exact
definition for this term).

If you don't care in first place with which technology
a solution is realised you can always compare software
that offers the needed functionality in term of Speed,
Scalibility, OS Independence, Resourceusage, total cost
of ownership.

If the only thing you want is a soap server (THAT was the
question) you don't have to care wether this is implemented
in java, C#, ASP, C++ or Cobol as long as is works and fit's
your requirements. So it make sense to compare IIS standalone
vs tomcat standalone.