tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Darrell Porter <dpor...@wiseconnect.com>
Subject RE: Win200 crashing with Tomcat 4
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2001 17:00:28 GMT
I had a Win2K server that was rebooting periodically for no apparent reason.

As it turns out, the problem was that the server had Automatic Recovery
turned on in the BIOS (Compaq, HP and Dell servers have this feature) and
disabling this feature stopped the inexplicable reboots.

Check it out.

Darrell

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 9:30 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Win200 crashing with Tomcat 4

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Pae Choi wrote:

> Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 01:44:13 -0700
> From: Pae Choi <paechoi@earthlink.net>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Win200 crashing with Tomcat 4
>
> This is real scary if Janek's story is true. Could the TC dev. team
> confirm this?
>
> Since Janek is only "Testing" so it should not a big issue to
> produce the test cases Janek has.

Tomcat by itself (i.e. stand-alone, with no "type 2" JDBC drivers or other
native code) is 100% pure Java.  Java programs CANNOT cause a system
reboot (or even a core dump) unless there is a bug in the JVM.  And even
then, the fact that you're getting a reboot is either a bug in your
operating system or a hardware problem.

If you are using native code inside Tomcat (typically from a JDBC driver),
then it is entirely possible for bugs in that code to cause coredumps in
the JVM process -- but an OS that reboots is a faulty OS.  I would start
with applying all of the recent patches to W2K Pro.

> Pae

Craig McClanahan