tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Reynir Hübner <rey...@hugsmidjan.is>
Subject RE: I'm using Tomcat, do I also need Apache
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:45:15 GMT
We use tomcat as a servlet/jsp container inside of apache.
Apache is alot faster in serving images / static content, than tomcat,
but tomcat is obviously only used for executing java/jsp.

We´ve done some tests...
this {

  tomcat/standalone 201.47
  tomcat/apache     296.35

}shows how many hit´s per second we managed, oh yeah, this is obviously
nothing official, but it´s on one of our websites, using some cache-ing
mechanism and on 500mhz laptop machine...

So it´s about 1/3 better performance if you use apache, should answer
your question, but then again there are more reasons such as extended
security... etc.

hope it helps
-r