tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Larry Isaacs <Larry.Isa...@sas.com>
Subject RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Tomcat 3.3 Release Candidate 2
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2001 20:06:46 GMT
Hi Peter,

Tomcat 3.3 finishes the development of the Tomcat 3.x branch
of jakarta-tomcat.  Tomcat 3.2.x still has enough spaghetti
code to make a number of bugs impractical to fix.  With Tomcat
3.3, the 3.x branch reaches a maintainable state.

A number of features and improvements should make Tomcat 3.3
easier to use than Tomcat 3.2.x and offers improved performance.
Also, because the code has been largely cleaned up, it is possible
to upgrade and update Tomcat 3.3 by adding new or additional
modules.  See the PasswordPrompter.war module example at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat/release/v3.3-rc2/add-ons/

This upgrading and updating can occur without new releases of
Tomcat 3.3.  Thus, it is hoped that Tomcat 3.3 has a life beyond
just being a reference implementation for Servlet 2.2/JSP 1.1.

Note: If an add-on module alters the behavior of Tomcat 3.3
with respect to the Servlet 2.2/JSP 1.1 specs, it ceases to
be a reference implementation.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Larry