tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bo Xu ...@cybershop.ca>
Subject Re: Scheduling tasks in Tomcat
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:29:02 GMT
Josh Knowles wrote:

> You could create an object which gets started when tomcat starts that just
> runs a low priority thread and sleeps for n minutes then executes a chunk of
> code.  Depending on what version of Tomcat you are running you need to
> either add the servlet to your web.xml file within a <load-on-startup> tag
> or you can use the new Application Event Listener to listen for startup and
> shutdown.
>
> ~josh

just a suggestion :-)  I think if you use such a Thread in Servlet,  perhaps it
is better
to do the following:
    * in any time, this object is "Singleton style", i.e., there is only one
such object in
      any given time point
    *  make the (Runnable)class of this object NOT be loaded by webapp
classloader,
       I think this can avoid the following:
          if the old webapp classloader which loads this class is destroyed by
auto-reloading
         or "managment of Servlet container(for example, for memory issue)",
that object
         will lost its classloader(and its Class object)

        for example, this class can be put into:
        %CATALINA_HOME%/classes/    Unpacked classes global to web applications
        %CATALINA_HOME%/lib/           Classes in JAR files global to web
applications
            or
        %CATALINA_HOME%/common/classes/
           Unpacked common classes available to both Catalina internal classes
and web applications:
        %CATALINA_HOME%/common/lib/
            Common classes in JAR files available to both Catalina internal
classes and web applications:

BTW, in Servlet-List, there are also several emails about it.

Bo
Oct.12, 2001