tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bo Xu ...@cybershop.ca>
Subject Re: ServletContext.getResource() : is it read-only or read-write ?
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:11:27 GMT
chris brown wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been looking at using getResourcePaths() and getResource() as a way of
> simplifying deployment and increasing portability.
>
> "getResource()" returns a java.net.URL, from which I imagine you're supposed
> obtain a subclass of URLConnection.  Instances of URLConnection have
> "getInputStream()" and "getOutputStream()" methods... are both of these
> methods supported in Tomcat 4?  As in, can resources be read/write, or just
> read-only?
>
> Furthermore, what kind of InputStream (and OutputStream) should I expect (or
> use) with such URLConnections?
>
> Thanks,
> -Chris

I am not sure, I just guess perhaps it will dependent on different Servlet
container,
the following is from:
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0/
jakarta-servletapi-4.zip

javax.servlet
Interface ServletContext

getResource
public java.net.URL getResource(java.lang.String path)
                         throws java.net.MalformedURLException
Returns a URL to the resource that is mapped to a specified path. The path must
begin with a "/" and is interpreted as relative to the current context root.
This method allows the servlet container to make a resource available to
servlets from any source. Resources can be located on a local or remote file
system, in a database, or in a .war file.

The servlet container must implement the URL handlers and URLConnection objects
that are necessary to access the resource.

This method returns null if no resource is mapped to the pathname.

Some containers may allow writing to the URL returned by this method using the
methods of the URL class.

The resource content is returned directly, so be aware that requesting a .jsp
page returns the JSP source code. Use a RequestDispatcher instead to include
results of an execution.

This method has a different purpose than java.lang.Class.getResource, which
looks up resources based on a class loader. This method does not use class
loaders.

Parameters:
path - a String specifying the path to the resource
Returns:
the resource located at the named path, or null if there is no resource at that
path
Throws:
java.net.MalformedURLException - if the pathname is not given in the correct
form

BTW, could anybody tell me:  in TC4.0, which class "implements" the interface
"javax.servlet.ServletContext"?  because I want to find the overrided code
of  "getResource"?  Thanks in advance!  :-)

Bo
Oct.12, 2001