tomcat-users mailing list archives

From carna...@protos.lifesci.ucla.edu
Subject WebAppDeploy question
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2001 18:01:26 GMT
All,

I am new to this list so I apologize if this has been addressed before.
I saw several similar questions in the archives but no answers. I am
using Tomcat 4.0 and Apache 1.3.X on RedHat Linux 7.1.

First of all I would like to deploy an application using Apache/Tomcat
(i.e. using the warp connector specifically). The problem is that I am
not able to do so unless it resides in the tomcat webapps directory. The
Tomcat standalone handles things just fine using a Host and Context.
But, using Apache/WARP, there is little such flexibility in how to
deploy apps. The WebAppDeploy directive takes only the application name
and a URL pattern for the defined connection. Since it is assumed that
the application name resides only within the CATALINA_HOME/webapps
directory there is no way to deploy outside of this. There are several
related issues and possible solutions here:

1. The Warp connector does not acknowledge the Host configuration in
servers.xml. The Host configuration is the only place where it is
possible to specify the 'appBase' in a different location than
CATALINA_HOME/webapps. It makes sense that the Warp connector ignores
the Host configuration since the hosts should actually be defined in the
Apache config. But then, at least, there should be related Apache config
directives that roughly correspond to Tomcat specific host information
(e.g. WebAppAppBase). I am not sure if this is the right approach.

2. The WebAppDeploy directive takes an application name as a parameter.
This does not necessarily have to be this way. It could be a path that
is specified as an absolute path or a path relative to the
CATALINA_HOME/webapps directory. I understand that the Servlet spec is
somewhat limiting for the server.xml file. It would be nice if there was
a better internal naming system such that a name described in the
WebAppDeploy directive could map directly to a given name in the
server.xml. An appropriate naming system would probably be the best
solution but the spec does not really allow it.

That said, does anyone have any advice as to how to set this up? I have
things working with symlinks right now but that is obviously not a good
solution. Is there something in the works right now that addresses the
problem.

Thanks,
John Carnahan