tomcat-users mailing list archives

From akei...@netscape.net (m akeijou)
Subject THIS IS HELP with Tomcat-Apache mapping
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2001 14:16:38 GMT
i just finished my Tomcat 4.0 to Apache 1.3 mappings both on W2000 and RH Linux 7.1, thanks
to help from this list.  considering the recent questions in this mailing list about this
subject i thought it'd be my turn to share my experience.

the mapping solves the following problems (as far as i know):
1. to use a URL with no port number, e.g., http://my.domain.com/examples/ instead of http://my.domain.com:8080/examples/
2. to take advantage of having all the source java, html, jsp, etc., in one place (in Tomcat)
and yet have tomcat serve the jsps and servlets, and apache serve the html as usual

the pointers below assume that you have apache 1.3 and tomcat 4 installed and each one runs
correctly separately.

for Windows 2000:
- get the webapp module from http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.1/bin/win32/
- follow instructions in the INSTALL.txt file (very good instructions) for installing the
module and configuring apache
- changes in httpd.conf on my development server

    LoadModule webapp_module modules/mod_webapp.so
      :
    NameVirtualHost *
      :
    <VirtualHost *>
           :
        ServerName localhost
        WebAppConnection conn warp localhost:8008
        WebAppDeploy examples conn /examples/
        WebAppDeploy myapps conn /myapps/
        WebAppInfo /webapp-info
    </VirtualHost>

for Linux:
- go to the CVS repositories in http://jakarta.apache.org/site/cvsindex.html and follow instructions
on this page for getting the webapp module (in the cvs command line, replace [module-name]
with jakarta-tomcat-connectors/webapp)
- after download, go to CVSROOT/webapp and follow instructions in README.txt to install webapp
- then follow instructions in INSTALL.txt to configure it for apache-tomcat connection
- changes in httpd.conf on my production server

    LoadModule webapp_module libexec/mod_webapp.so
      :
    NameVirtualHost my.IP.address.here
      :
    <VirtualHost my.IP.address.here>
           :
        ServerName mydomain
        WebAppConnection conn warp mydomain:8008
        WebAppDeploy examples conn /examples/
        WebAppDeploy myapps conn /myapps/
        WebAppInfo /webapp-info
    </VirtualHost>