tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Christos Karras" <ckar...@capella.org>
Subject adding custom classpaths to web applications
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Under Tomcat 4, is there a way to add a class path to
a specific <Context>, that the class loader would search
in addition to $CATALINA_HOME/classes, $CATALINA_HOME/lib,
WEB-INF/classes and WEB-INF/lib ?

I need to share some classes among multiple applications,
but not EVERY application, because I need some kind
of class versioning, to make sure an application
always uses the latest version of the libraries with which
it was tested.

For example:
  Application 1 and 2 were developped using version 1.0 of my libraries
  Application 3 was developped using version 1.2.

  Application 1 and 2 were never tested with other versions, so they
  must keep using version 1.0 until further testing. Therefore,
  putting version 1.2 of the libraries in $CATALINA_HOME/lib may
  break Application 1 and 2. So I would have to copy the v1.0 libraries
  to the WEB-INF/lib directory of both applications, and the v1.2
  libraries to Application 3.

  But I would prefer to put them in a centralized, version-specific
  location (C:\tomcat\myLibs\versionNo), and specify in each
  application's config which path to use
   Application 1 and 2: C:\tomcat\myLibs\1.0
   Application 3: C:\tomcat\myLibs\1.2

Or, are there other ways to implement this kind of class versionning
where multiple versions of the same classes need to be available?

Thanks!