tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: init parameters and ServletConfig
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:33:09 GMT

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001, Carey Parker wrote:

> Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 08:50:41 -0500
> From: Carey Parker <cparker@longboard.com>
> To: "'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: init parameters and ServletConfig
>
> I'm creating a simple servlet engine, and I'm confused about which init
> parameters are made available via the ServletConfig object.
>
> In the DTD for web.xml, there are two sets of parameters: context-param and
> init-param.  The context-param's are in the web-app scope and the
> init-params are in the servlet element scope.
>
> So, when the servlet engine invokes the init() method on the servlet with a
> ServletConfig object, and the servlet invokes
> ServletConfig.getParameterNames(), which parameters does it see?
>
> Let's say we have the following web.xml snippet...
>
> <web-app>
> <context-param>foo</context-param>
> <servlet>
>    <servlet-name>boo1</servlet-name>
>    <init-param>foo1</init-param>
> </servlet>
> <servlet>
>    <servlet-name>boo2</servlet-name>
>    <init-param>foo2</init-param>
> </servlet>
> </web-app>
>
> So, there are three parameters here: foo, foo1, and foo2.  When servlet boo1
> does a ServletConfig.getParameterNames(), does it get...
>
> - just foo1?
> - foo and foo1?
> - foo, foo1 and foo2?

Servlet context parameters (<context-param>) are available to all
servlets, via a call to:

  String value = getServletContext().getInitParameter("foo");

Servlet parameters (<init> inside a <servlet>) are available to that
servlet only, via a call to:

  String value = getServletConfig().getInitParameter("foo1");

(Of course, you have to use the correct syntax in your <init-param>
elements as well :-).

> Thanks!
> Carey

Craig