tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat uptime...
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2001 17:16:03 GMT
On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Chris Gross wrote:

> Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:37:22 -0400
> From: Chris Gross <cgross@chessys.com>
> To: tomcatlist <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Tomcat uptime...
>

> How long do you guys go without restarting tomcat?  I have a developer here
> telling me that tomcat should be restarted every day or so.  We have been
> getting error code 500s and he is saying that is because we need to restart
> tomcat??  We are running 3.2.3.

Most likely, there is a problem in one of your applications that the
application cannot recover from without being restarted -- so it's really
the application that needs a restart, not Tomcat itself.  Details
obviously depend on the precise nature of the exceptions you are getting,
but an error 500 is most often caused by an application that throws an
uncaught exception.

> -chris

Craig