tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Manager app: too bad
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2001 01:30:30 GMT

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Sergey V. Udaltsov wrote:

> Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 02:10:53 +0100
> From: Sergey V. Udaltsov <sergey.oudaltsov@clients.ie>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Manager app: too bad
>

> >>1. When I install a wepapp for the first time (manager/install?...), I
> >>have to restart tomcat. It is really annoying.
> > Why are you restarting Tomcat?  The whole idea of using the manager to
> > deploy apps is that you *don't* have to do this.
>
> I thought so. But not for long:)
> I just found the application does not function properly without
> restarting the server:( AFAIR I get 404 - and after restart everything
> is fine.

Hmm, it works fine for me without restarting.  More specifically, I did
the following:

* Started Tomcat 4 the usual way (this is the code from what will be
  the 4.0.1 release, but I don't believe anything has really changed).

* Got a 404 (correctly) when trying:

    http://localhost:8080/struts-example/

* Installed the Struts example webapp without restarting Tomcat (split
  onto two lines for typing ease only):

    http://localhost:8080/manager/install?path=/struts-example&war=\
    jar:file:/path/to/struts-example.war!/

* Got the welcome page of the Struts example app when trying:

    http://localhost:8080/struts-example/

So, it works for me.  Did you get any error messages when you executed the
"install" (either back to your browser or in the log files)?

> > Removing the files would be very unfriendly, and very large numbers of
> > users would complain.  But it would certainly be reasonable to add an
> > option that would remove the files if you asked for it.
>
> Actually this really does not matter to me. The problem it that I unable
> to reinstall the app if the directory from the old installation still
> exists:( So I have to:
> 1. Uninstall an app
> 2. Remove the directory manually
> 3. Restart the server (otherwise I am unable to install an app again)
> 4. Install the app
> 5. Restart the server (otherwise I get 404).
> Very unfriendly:~((( And most of these steps are for su only:(

Sounds like we should solve one problem at a time ... let's get install
working right (without a restart) first.

> > On the restart issue -- I again ask, why are you restarting it?
> Because otherwise it does not work at all:)
>

> My system is RH 7.1, Sun JVM 1.3.1, Tomcat 4.0 built from src.rpm,
> Apache 1.3.19.

I also use Red Hat 7.1 and the Sun JVM.

Are you running this stuff through Apache?  If so, it might be entirely
possible that Tomcat will recognize the new webapp but the Apache
connector won't.  Please try it stand alone to see if the behavior
changes.

> I could provide any debugging/logging info which can help.
>
> Thanks for reply,
>
> Sergey

Craig