tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: class loader
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2001 17:01:24 GMT

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Jay Wright wrote:

> Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:56:06 -0700
> From: Jay Wright <jwright@once.com>
> To: "'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: class loader
>

> Hopefully this is an easy question that has been worked over many times.
>
> I've just switched from Resin to Tomcat 4.0.  I'm currently testing on
> windows, though we'll deploy on Solaris.  Everything looks great so far and
> I'm overall very pleased, but have stumbled into one problem:  the
> Class.forName(<classname>) is unable to find a class.  In this case, it is
> oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.  As I've ported the code from Resin to
> Tomcat, I know my code is okay, but I wanted to make sure that I'm complying
> with the Tomcat container.
>
> I've placed the classes12.jar file (the oracle driver) in
> %CATALINA_HOME%/lib.  I've done nothing else, such as add it to a classpath.
>

> Do I need to explicitly set it in the classpath?

No ... even if you try, anything you put on the CLASSPATH variable is
totally ignored at startup time.

> Is there a better location
> for it?  (I've also tried %CATALINA_HOME%/server/lib

See the Class Loader HOW-TO docs for more info, and you'll find that this
won't help -- it's for stuff that is visible *only* to the insides of
Tomcat.

> and
> %CATALINA_HOME%/webapps/<myapp>/WEB-INF/lib).

If none of these places work, it is likely that your file is not being
recognized as a JAR file.  Are there any interesting messages in the log
files?

> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Jay