tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: attibute has no value
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2001 18:52:43 GMT

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, John J Brecht wrote:

> Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 11:49:50 -0700
> From: John J Brecht <john.brecht@sri.com>
> To: Tomcat <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: attibute has no value
>
> I'm having a very simple problem.  I am attempting to migrate some
> applications that ran fine under ServletExec to Tomcat 4.0.  Jasper
> fails to parse my JSPs, throwing the folling error:
>
> 2001-10-02 10:46:44 ApplicationDispatcher[/DLServlet] Servlet.service()
> for servlet jsp threw exception
> org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParseException: /DLjsp/login.jsp(3,33)
> Attribute servletPath has no value

This message is thrown only when the first non-whitespace character after
an attribute name is not an equal sign.  Double and triple check the
quote characters in your source page.

> 	at
> org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspReader.parseAttributeValue(JspReader.java:563)
> 	at
> org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspReader.parseTagAttributes(JspReader.java:681)
> .
> .
> .
>

> here is the beginning of my JSP, the code that it is complaining about:
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN"
>         "http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Wilbur/HTML32.dtd">
> <%@ page import="com.sri.ctl.dl.* %>
                                 ^^^

Note that there is a missing quote after the "*" character.

> <jsp:useBean id="servletPath" scope="request" class="String"/>
>

> In my servlet code, I included print statements that give the request's
> attributes and their values right before I forward to the JSP, and it
> shows that the attribute "ServletPath" exists, and has a value, as it
Shouldn't that be "servletPath" (lower case "s")?

> should.  I get this error in general for any bean i try to use in this
> way.
>
> Anyone know what might be going on?
>
> -john

Craig