tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Any reason to use Apache w/ Tomcat for webapp with all dynamic web pages?
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2001 03:07:11 GMT

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, John Dell wrote:

> Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 18:43:55 -0700
> From: John Dell <jdell@callatg.com>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: RE: Any reason to use Apache w/ Tomcat for webapp with all
>     dynamic web pages?
>
> Even in the most dynamic sites, I can't imagine that you don't have gif's,
> jpg's or png's.  Also, hopefully you have linked external stylesheets and
> perhaps some reuseable javascript that is in a separate file.  These items
> usually are served on most every page because they are related to the header
> or footer or navigation elements.
>
> AFAIK, this is where the advantage of a static page webserver or even a
> cache appliance comes in handy.  Because you reduce the workload of the
> tomcat server to ~ONLY~ truly dynamic content.

Do you have your browser set to cache reasonable amounts of stuff?  If so,
the performance of serving small amounts of static content (as would be
typical of a web app that only used small images for buttons and such) is
*totally* irrelevant after the first request for a particular static file.

Why?  Because the browser will send "If-Modified-Since" headers with each
request for a URL it has in the cache, and Tomcat has the opportunity to
answer with a "Not Modified" response instead of resending the data.
Tomcat 4, for example, pulls this particular trick off with zero accesses
to the server's disk drive.

> John

Craig McClanahan