tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jeremy P <dewman_li...@yahoo.com>
Subject Tomcat Hanging
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2001 17:42:22 GMT
Hi all,

I am having some trouble with a fleet of production
tomcat servers.  The servers are running Tomcat 3.2.3
in a fairly high-volume system (approx. 500,000
requests per day) on Solaris 8 using JDK1.3.1 .  After
starting the servers. They run fantastically for about
20 minutes, with no signs of being slow due to load or
any other problems.  After this 20 minutes, they hang
completely.  Running top on the machines shows that
they drop off the CPU list completely.  Running
netstat shows that all connections are stuck in the
ESTABLISHED state.  Sometimes it takes longer than 20
minutes, sometimes less, but eventually it will hang
in the described state.  This problem occurs both when
running tomcat in standalone operation and via the
Apache module.  I have seen a few bug reports
describing similiar problems but they all say they
were fixed prior to 3.2.3.  Furthermore, I have even
switched one of the machines to Tomcat 4 to see if
that would fix the problem, but it did not.  Has
anyone encountered similiar problems, or have any
suggestions as to what may be the cause.

Thanks

Jeremy