tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bang, Steinar" <>
Subject RE: Questions on tomcat heap usage and garbage collection (avoidi ng O utOfMemoryError exceptions)
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2001 07:19:36 GMT
Randy Layman [] writes:

> I think the best thing you can do is to determine
> where the memory is going and fix your leaks.  I say
> your leaks because in my experience, Tomcat doesn't
> leak memory and doesn't take a lot of memory for each
> connection.

I perhaps wasn't too clear about what I was doing.
There is no real application involved in the tests
I'm mentioning.  It's just a simple JSP page _hammered_
by requests.

The usage is atypical, I'm the first to admit, but it
worries me that hammering the server with requests
can make tomcat _crash_ (ref. DOS attacks).

In fact, the crash is the real worry.  Why does a
single OutOfMemoryError cause _all_ tomcat processes
running under apache control to crash?

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL to
TANDBERG Television. If received in error please notify the sender and
destroy the original message and attachments.

View raw message