tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "chris brown" <...@reflexe.fr>
Subject Ideas for future versions of Tomcat (a bit controversial maybe)?
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2001 08:54:08 GMT
Hello,

I've been trying out JDK 1.4 quite a lot, and like it a lot!  I was
wondering, given that Tomcat is a "reference implementation" of the
Servlet/JSP APIs, if it would be a good idea to become a very good example
of certain new APIs as well.

I've suggested a while back that the "New scalable I/O" channels could be
used to boost performance.  Since then, I've seen other opportunities for
increasing effeciency, simplifying code, etc.  For example, instead of
maintaining and downloading APIs for logging, it might be better to depend
upon the newer logging APIs.  The same thing could be said of certain
example applications (such as making Struts use the java.util.regex package
instead of an external regular expression package -- but then, that's going
a bit OT as there's a list for Struts too...!).  Perhaps also the
configuration could be stored using the preferences API, but I don't see so
many benefits with a change of this type.

Obviously, this would limit the accessibility of any such future version
Tomcat to users of JDK 1.4, but I don't think that's a major problem in the
majority of deployment situations (I'm guessing here, but I suspect it's
quite likely to be true).  Nevertheless, I think it would be a good step
forward.

-Chris