tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Nikola Milutinovic" <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject Re: mod_webapp and Apache 2.0
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:44:02 GMT
> I've installed the binary release version of tomcat 4.0 and it works fine as
> a standalone server.

Good.

> Now I obtained the cvs version of jakarta-tomcat-connector and tried to
> build
> mod_webapp.so as described in README.txt in the webapp folder.
> During the run of ./support/buildconf.sh I got the following output:
> /usr/bin/m4: configure.in: 142: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
> /usr/bin/m4: configure.in: 372: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'

Check the resulting configure, but I don't think you'll be able to recognize if something
really went wrong.

> I didn't know what to do so I went on configuring and compiling without
> any erros (./configure --with-apxs).
> So I copied apache-2.0/.lib/mod_webapp.so to Apache's modules directory
> and added the LoadModule directive to httpd.conf.
> Without adding any other lines I tested with
> apachectl configtest
> and I got a Syntax OK

That doesn't mean much. I've had both mod_jk and mod_webapp pass the configtest and yet crash
Apache 1.3.20 mercilessly.

> so I moved on adding the following 3 lines to the httpd.conf
>
> WebAppConnection  warpConnection warp localhost:8008
> WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples
> WebAppInfo info
>
> and rerun the configtest. Now I got the following error
> Syntax error on line 251 of /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
> Invalid virtual host name

"For reasons unknown", mod_webapp needs to have server name set explicitly. You must have
"ServerName <your.server.name>" before those directives.

> OFFTOPIC:
> If someone knows hot to configure apache 2.0 for mod_ssl I would
> be very happy about an direct mail.
> I compiled the module without any error but get the following
> error if I try to start apache with mod_ssl loaded:
> Syntax error on line 224 of /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so into server:
> /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so: undefined symbol: X509_free

X509_* symbols are defined in libssl.a and libssl.so. My guess is that mod_ssl.so was built
with shared instead of static libssl.so OR it was build without OpenSSL ever installed. Anyway,
you're either missing that lib from your standard lib dirs or it is not installed at all.

Nix.