tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Using jsp / servlets for main web site?
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2001 18:33:07 GMT
The build command looks right.  It's the same one I used.  The only weirdness
I experienced is that Cocoon 2 (beta 2 at least) would core dump the JVM with
a seg fault.  I fixed that with 'ulimit -s 2048' because Sun JDK 1.3.1 has a
bug in it when stack size is set to 'unlimited' under linux.  Sun's bug
parade has a write-up for it.  As I understand it, it's fixed in jdk 1.4, but
that's still beta.

I'm not well enough versed in how mod_webapp works to know what it grabs and
doesn't grab.  Looks like any request for the folder of an app is grabbed and
sent to the app for processing.  That may be based on what's in web.xml
though.  Someone with detailed knowledge of mod_webapp internals would have
to answer that one.  I do know in the case of Cocoon2, all requests with the
path described in the WebAppDeploy directive are sent to Cocoon2 for
processing.  Example:

httpd.conf:
WebAppDeploy cocoon tc_connect /xml_test

Mounting the root of the site to cocoon would send the entire site to Cocoon
for processing.  Then it's up to the sitemap.xmap to figure out how files are
handled.  Try deploying Cocoon2 to something like /xml_test instead and try
it out.  If that works, then you're probably a lot closer to the answer.

--David Smith