tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Matt Fisher" <>
Subject Can you assign low priority to a JSP?
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2001 22:52:07 GMT
I have a JSP which generates a huge report, output as HTML. It's a total
resource hog. With thread-pooling enabled, I am able to run at most two
instances of this JSP. At that point, no other request gets a response from the
server (Apache 1.3.20; Tomcat 3.2.3) until at least one of the reports finishes.

Is there any way to assign a low priority to the report JSP, so that it will
temporarily release resources as higher-priority requests come in? The data
entry JSPs are of much higher priority....

I assume the problem is available threads. Is there any way to check how many
threads are being used at any given time?

The report does one large query, then loops through each row in the result set,
and executes four subqueries for each row. Could this be hogging all the
available threads? Any way to make the subqueries reuse the same threads on each

Many questions, and many thanks for any advice you can provide. At this point,
I'm very discouraged about Tomcat in general.

One small bit of good news -- enabling thread pooling, and trashing some pages
which did XML processing, has eliminated the out of memory errors I'd been

 - Matt
Matthew J. Fisher
Applications Programmer
University of Chicago Press