tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "David Johns" <s...@sound.net>
Subject Tomcat 4.0 and Linux 7.1
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2001 22:21:17 GMT
I'm a Java programmer interested in developing JSP pages on a Linux/Tomcat
platform.  I recently installed Red Hat Linux 7.1 on my PC and downloaded
the tar
file for Tomcat 4.0.  I decompressed the tar file, saving it to a Tomcat
directory.  Within the bin directory, I run ./ startup.sh to open a Tomcat
session, and then try to open the default page (index.html) in Netcape at
http://localhost:8080.  Netscape does not open the file.  Linux tells me I
have to set the JAVA_HOME variable to point to the JDK directory.  I tried
this at both the command line and within .bash_profile.  I tried to run
Tomcat as root and as a regular user.  What configurations are required to
run Tomcat in Linux?  (It works fine on my Windows 2000 PC.)  The help files
say something about JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME environment variables, but I
don't know where or how to set these.  Speaking of environment variables,
how do I set the CLASSPATH for Java?  (I know how to do this in Windows 2K,
but not Linux 7.1.)

Thanks in advance for helping me overcome these technical frustrations.
(I'm a newcomer to both Linux and Tomcat.)

David Johns (in Overland Park, Kansas)
soju@sound.net