tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Ferne" <pe...@e-people.com>
Subject "...is not a servlet", yes I *have* RTFM, my jre/lib/ext is empty!
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2001 13:31:22 GMT
Whilst searching the mailing list archives for the answer to the
(apparently) perennial "X is not a servlet" problem, I found the following
proposed solution:

> From: "Craig R. McClanahan"
> Subject:  Re: desperate: Tomcat complaining my servlet is not a servlet
> Date:  Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:02:00 -0700 (PDT)
>
> A quick search of the mailing list archives will show at least 20
> answers to this question :-).
>
> Remove any old copy of servlet.jar (or j2ee.jar) from your Java
> system extensions directory ($JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext) -- it interferes
> with Tomcat's normal operation.
>
> Craig McClanahan

However, I have already done this and the problem persists.  The only
accessible jars I have are the ones which come with the Tomcat 4.0 Final
binary distribution, honest.  All the others are in a jar-bucket folder well
away from tomcat and the jdk/jre and no explicit classpath is set as a
matter of course.  Strangely strange.

If anyone has had similar experiences which they would care to share I would
be grateful to hear about them.  I'll continue delving and report back if I
get to the bottom of it.
--
Peter Ferne, VP of Engineering, E-people Ventures Limited
tel +44 (0)870 733 0456  fax +44 (0)870 733 0457

e-people...deliver digital business