tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Ferne" <pe...@e-people.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 4.0 Final claims '/WEB-INF/web.xml not found' for /examples
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2001 12:15:23 GMT
Hey Luc, thanks.

> On my machine the problem can occur if tomcat is installed in a path
> that contains subdirectories with a name that is longer than the 8.3
> format. (e.g.: on my machine c:\java\jakarta-tomcat-4.0)
> If you are in the bin directory and the command prompt shows e.g.:
> C:\java\JAKART~1.0\bin> (note the mangled part of the path) then
> entering startup will start catalina, but the webapps are not found.
> If you are in the bin directory and the command prompt shows e.g.:
> c:\java\jakarta-tomcat-4.0\bin (note: no mangled parts) then entering
> startup will start catalina and all webapps will function correctly.

I found that I also had to make sure that the CATALINA_HOME environment
variable was set with the full name, i.e.:
This fails:
  CATALINA_HOME=C:\PROGRA~1\APACHE~1\jakarta-tomcat-4.0
This works:
  CATALINA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Apache Group\jakarta-tomcat-4.0

Now all I have to do is figure out why it thinks that: '...ServletException:
Class ...RenderedViewServlet is not a Servlet'
:-)

Many thanks
--
Peter Ferne, VP of Engineering, E-people Ventures Limited
tel +44 (0)870 733 0456  fax +44 (0)870 733 0457

e-people...deliver digital business