tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Abhijat Thakur" <abhijat.tha...@bdnacorp.com>
Subject RE: Multiple Tomcat Instances
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2001 17:15:33 GMT
I am using two tomcats
server1.xml
	AJP on Port 8007
server2.xml
	AJP on port 8009
I am using Http via Apache.Every time i start tomcat with one of server.xml
files i rename the mod_jk.conf-auto and the included the two static files in
httpd.conf. Even after doing this i can only go to the contexts served by
server1.xml file and not by server2.xml. How do i tell apache as to which
context is to be serverd by which port. I think i am missing this step but
do not know how to do it?

Thanks

Abhijat Thakur

-----Original Message-----
From: Marjou Xavier [mailto:Xavier.Marjou@SRIT.siemens.fr]
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2001 4:37 AM
To: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Multiple Tomcat Instances

Hello,

Each Tomcat can be interfaced with a HTTP client with 2 different ways
(defined in server.xml)
- either with regular HTTP (eg: on port 8080)
- or/and indirectly via Apache (AJP protocol is used, eg port 8007)
If you use HTTP via Apache, Apache will need mod_jk.conf and
worker.properties to know how to dialogue with Tomcat
If you use only one instance of Tomcat, then the default files (server.xml,
mod_jk.conf-auto and worker.properties) work well.

Now if you use 2 Tomcats,  you can do:
- in server1.xml
	- HTTP on port 8080)
	- AJP on port 8007)
-in server2.xml
	- HTTP on port 8081)
	- AJP on port 8009)
Each Tomcat will have its own socket for serving HTTP. It is not possible to
share a socket (eg: 8080) between to Tomcats as you are trying to do.

If you use HTTP via Apache, Apache will need to write your own mod_jk.conf
and worker.properties. (It is important to realize that the default ones are
working only when there is the default configuration of Tomcat (ie: only one
Tomcat)).

I hope this help,
Xavier Marjou