tomcat-users mailing list archives

From GOMEZ Henri <hgo...@slib.fr>
Subject RE: Multiple Tomcat workers (using mod_jk)
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2001 09:31:53 GMT
>I've got a couple of quick newbie questions:
>Environment: Apache 1.3.20 on Solaris 8; Tomcat 3.2 (using
>mod_jk); Apache
>and Tomcat running on the same box.
>
>If I configure and run multiple Tomcat workers on the same machine
>(listening on different ports of course), and let's say they
>are all using
>ajp13 connector, do all those workers run in the SAME of DIFFERENT VM ?

What do you mean by 'run multiple Tomcat workers' ?

If you launch multiple instance of tomcat, each will run
on it's own JVM.

>The reason I ask is that I've got a thread-unsafe servle that I want to
>deploy implementing "SingleThreadModel" across multiple
>concurrent instances
>of Tomcat, allowing concurrent requests to be processes. As
>the request gets
>into Apache, using mod_rewrite I want to direct it to one of
>the several
>Tomcat workers.

If you're using mod_rewrite, you didn't have to use mod_jk.
Just redirect to the tomcat and it's native http protocol.

IMHO, having a thread-unsafe servlet and SingleThreadModel,
and playing with many JVM will be a nigthmare for you in
production. Better try to fix the servlet.......

There is so many mecanism in java to avoid concurrency....