tomcat-users mailing list archives

From nbd95 <nb...@macconnect.com>
Subject Re: Help: Tomcat 3.2.3 and Apache on FreeBSD **Java newbie**
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2001 14:53:16 GMT
Thank you Plamen! I can now run the core files. I am still having some
problems with failures on the majority of the examples *.jsp from the core
cd though. I'm looking into it, I'll post again if I can't find an answer.

Two questions and an observation.

First, as installed by default I'm able to execute both
<tomcat_home>/webapps/examples and <tomcat_home>/webapps/core (my app) but I
am unable to execute <tomcat_home>/webapps/admin. I don't see anything in
the *.conf files to prevent this, why?

Second,  can anyone suggest a url/book/diet for more documentation? The
provided docs are well written and doubtless make sense to to many, but for
new users they are very vague.

Observation, all docs give example and make reference to adding the line
"Include <tomcat_home>/conf/tomcat-apache.conf"
to my httpd.conf. This causes apache to fail, not being able to open
"/usr/local/./logs/mod_jserv.log" I can find no reference to "mod_jserv.log"
in any file in <tomcat_home>/conf/*. Besides, I don't seem to need this line
as tomcat appears to work.

I appreciate everyone's indulgence here,

DAve

on 9/12/01 5:00 PM, Plamen Petkov at plamendp@bgstore.com wrote:

> nbd95 wrote:
<snip>
>> My problem is I am trying to get examples of *.jsp code to work
>> unsuccessfully. I have example code from a book (Core JSP) that I cannot
>> run. Can anyone step me through creating a directory where I might store
>> *.jsp files for experimenting? I'm simply trying to eval JSP and explore
>> it's environment.
>>
>> I've read the book, Core JSP, and the "Working with mod_jk" - "Tomcat-Apache
>> HOWTO" papers. I still don't get which *.conf files I need to modify to send
>> *.jsp files to Tomcat from the Apache directory structure.
>>
>> I thank you for your indulgence.
>>
>> DAve
>

> Here is my directory structure for testing all "Core JSP" book examples.
> I gave this Application a "core" name. All dirs are relative to tomcat's
> "webapps" directory, wich is /usr/local/tomcat/webapps.
>
> [/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/]core   <-- HTMLs, JSPs
> core/jsp <-- HTMLs, JSPs
> core/WEB-INF
> core/WEB-INF/classes   <-- non-packaged servlets
> core/WEB-INF/classes/coreservlets  <-- coreservlets's package servlets
>
> As for your last question: use symlinks. The "core" application may
> reside anywhere. Just symlink /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/core to the
> place where it is.
> Apache directory structure and Tomcat's one are not related at all.
>

> http://mylocalhost/core/jsp/some.jsp
> http://mylocalhost/core/servlet/SomeServletInClassesDirectory

http://mylocalhost/core/servlet/coreservlets.SomeServletFromCoreservletsPack
ag> e